The name Algeciras come from the Arabic: Al Jazeera Al-Khudra الجزيرة الخضراء) is a port city in the south of Spain, and is the largest city on the Bay of Gibraltar (in Spanish, the Bahía de Algeciras). The Port of Algeciras is one of the largest ports in Europe and in the world in three categories: container, cargo and transhipment. It is situated 20 km north-east of Tarifa on the Río de la Miel, which is the southernmost river of the Iberian peninsula and continental Europe.
The city currently has five beaches for recreational use, El Rinconcillo, La Concha, El Chinarral, San García and Getares. The beach of El Rinconcillo is located north of the city and extends from the North Bridge access port to the mouth of the Palmones River with a total length of 2.8 kilometers. It has two sections, one totally built next to the neighborhood of El Rinconcillo and another closer to the mouth of the river that is completely surrounded by the marshes of the Palmones river and through the dunes of the old coastal cord. South of the city lies the beach of Getares 1500 meters long. All northern beach is surrounded by housing developments and has a promenade while the south has an interesting dune system near the mouth of the river Pícaro. Por last the Playa de El Chinarral is a small cove of 250 meters located between the San García tips and El Rodeo is an area rarely visited due to its small size and difficult access to be completely surrounded by private homes just leave a small step.
- Hornos Romanos del Rinconcillo (first century B.C.). (furnaces)
- Factoría de salazones de la calle San Nicolás (first century). (salt meat factory)
- La Villa Vieja, torres de la Huerta del Carmen (tenth century). (Towers)
- Parque Arqueológico de las Murallas Meriníes (thirteenth century). (Archeological Park)
- Capilla de Nuestra Señora de Europa (1690). (Chapel)
- Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Palma (1736). (Church)
- Hospital de La Caridad, (1748).
- Capilla de la Caridad (1752). (Chapel)
- Casa Consistorial (1756). (City Council)
- Capilla de San Servando (1774). (Chapel)
- Capilla del Santo Cristo de la Alameda (1776). (Chapel)
- Plaza Alta (1807).
- Mercado de Abastos de Algeciras of engineer Eduardo Torroja Miret (1935). (Supplies Market)
- Art School Building. (1971) architect: Fernando Garrido Gutiérrez.
- Faro de Isla Verde. Project of Jaime Font, constructed in 1864). (Light)
- Hotel Reina Cristina (1901).
- District de San Isidro, typical district designed in the twentieth century.
- Arrastre de latas (5, January).
- Feria Real de Algeciras (June).
- Fiestas patronales en honor de Ntra. Sra. la Virgen de la Palma (August).
- Fiesta de los Tosantos (1, November).
- Carnival of Algeciras.
Texto de Wikipedia https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algeciras